Comag Matamata Swifts scored their second successive 4-0 win on Saturday, this time at Te Awamutu, to move into the top half of an incredibly congested Loaded WaiBOP Premiership table.

Captain Dayne Willemsen got the scoring underway inside ten minutes but the first half was a proper arm wrestle. The home side created enough chances to at least be level, if not ahead, at the break but the Swifts’ defensive unit held strong during what proved to be a decisive half of football given what followed in the second half.

Bjorn Vossen doubled Matamata’s lead eight minutes into the second half and from there the team settled and took control. With Te Awamutu forced to chase the game as they looked to take something from it, the Swifts were able to pick their moments and, unlike in some previous games, clinically picked their opponents off.

Jamie Baxter rattled home Matamata’s third with less than 20 minutes to go then Willemsen capped off a fine performance with his second inside the final few minutes.

After a challenging start to the season the Swifts are now getting back near to the sort of form they showed during the second half of 2017. Injuries are still a major issue, with seven regular squad members missing for this one, but this result, Matamata largest win in Te Awamutu since at least the early 1980s, proved the club has decent depth within the playing ranks.

Waharoa Transport Swifts reserves went down 10-2 against WaiBOP Championship leaders, Ngaruawahia United. Despite fine goals from Radge Avergonzado and Lawrence Clothier, the visitors showed why they still maintain a 100% record and are only a few wins away from guaranteeing promotion to the Premiership.

On Sunday, the Challenge Matamata Swifts ladies lost 8-2 at the Domain to a fine West Hamilton United outfit. Annemieke Verstraten snatched a double for Matamata, including one excellent volley, but the visitors continued on with their excellent form from the first half of the season. The Camel Kebab Swifts 3rds beat Cambridge 4-0 in their Waikato Sunday League fixture. Shaun Richardson scored twice for Matamata, while John Harris netted again and Chris Bedford, fresh off the plane from the UK, hit one home from the penalty spot.