Only two Matamata Swifts football teams were in action over the long weekend and both suffered similarly frustrating results following performances that are becoming increasingly customary.

Comag Matamata Swifts were held to a 0-0 draw by visiting Te Awamutu, one of the club’s traditional rivals, while Waharoa Transport Swifts Reserves again gave an opposing team a large head start before settling into their work.

On the face of it a goalless draw wouldn’t have much to recommend it, but in slippery, tricky conditions this match had a lot to like. The Swifts had the more numerous chances from open play and set pieces, while the visitors failed from the penalty spot twice, once at the end of each half.

Radge Avergonzado had a good early chance for Matamata before each side hit the upright in quick succession. Moments after the visitors went close, Hayden Turlington cut inside and drilled a shot against the woodwork.

Te Awamutu’s best chance to take the lead came when they were awarded a penalty just before the break but the resulting kick was sent over the road rather than into the net at the Eastern end of the Domain.

The chances continued in the second half. Matamata went close three time from corners, while Turlington and Avergonzado were both denied by good saves. Te Awamutu screwed a great chance wide and were then given a late opportunity to win it when they were awarded a second penalty. Unlike the first decision, this one was less clear cut, but Seamus Casey in goal went the right way to secure his and Matamata’s clean sheet.

While ending without a goal both teams will have left the Domain feeling they should have won comfortably while also being aware they could have lost comfortably. The Swifts are doing it relatively tough at the moment with a spate of unneeded injuries continuing to hit the squad so a point from this match isn’t the end of the world. But three would have been better.

In the early game, Waharoa Transport Swifts Reserves gave Tauranga City a four goal half time head start before matching their opponents after the break in a match that finished 5-1 to the visitors. The reserves had their usual patches of good play, coupled with moments of true horror, as their recent inconsistencies continued. They proved delightful hosts as they twice put through their own net, helping make Tauranga’s job a little easier than it should have been. Max Hill scored the consolation goal for Matamata.

After a relatively quiet Queen’s Birthday all four senior teams are back in action this weekend with trips to various parts of the region.