Comag Matamata Swifts fought their way back into the winners circle after a good performance led, ultimately, to an emphatic 4-0 Loaded WaiBOP Premiership victory at Tokoroa on Saturday.

The Swifts started well against one of the league’s strugglers but failed, at least in the early stages, to turn their dominance into goals. The breakthrough, however, couldn’t have been better timed when Brad West converted a great little ball from Chris Walker to send the Swifts into half time with a deserved lead.

Matamata needed more than a single goal lead to be comfortable and this was never more obvious than when Tokoroa, despite barely being in the game, hit the cross bar not long after half time. An equaliser would have been harsh, but the Swifts clicked back into gear and when Andrew Clothier curled the ball home not long after the hour mark they appeared well on the way to victory.

And so it proved.

Matamata doubled their lead in the ten minutes that followed Clothier’s goal. Brayden Lissington helped himself to his fourth goal in three games then Jamie Baxter whacked home from the penalty spot to make the points more than safe.

Tokoroa defended desperately to ensure their was no further damage, while the Swifts were more than pleased to bring an important three points home after a lean recent run.

Waharoa Transport Swifts reserves had an eventful final match of their WaiBOP Championship season. It’s been a tough old 2018 for the reserves, but they returned from Otumoetai with a point from a 2-2 draw in a game in which they ended with nine players on the field.

The teams traded goals in each half, with Rob Cox scoring for Matamata before the break, while Radge Avergonzado equalised for the Swifts in the second half. Some entertaining officiating led to a couple of late red cards for Matamata but, to be fair, the team knew something like that was coming given what was on show.

Sunday’s weather saw the Challenge Matamata Swifts Ladies’ match at Hamilton’s Northern United postponed, but the Camel Kebab Swifts 3rds played out an entertaining 3-3 home draw against Waikato Dragons in their final match of the season. John Harris, Hayri Cihan and Shaun Richardson scored for the 3rds who completed a successful Waikato Sunday League season.