In a slightly truncated Easter weekend fixture schedule, the two Matamata Swifts teams that played both completed well deserved victories at the Domain over teams from West Hamilton United.

The Swifts re-found the winning feeling with a, in the end, comfortable 4-1 Loaded WaiBOP Premiership win over West Hamilton’s first team, while in the early game the Swifts A team edged West Hamilton’s reserves 3-2 to remain unbeaten.

The Richardson Racing Stables Swifts reserves’ WaiBOP Championship match against Te Puke United was postponed so as to help preserve the Domain playing surfaces, which meant the A team effectively played the curtain raiser. In a match that was as close as the score line indicated, the A team maintained their fine unbeaten start to the season against opponents who had entered the match full of confidence.

Ronan Costello doubled his goal haul for the season with a well taken brace, while Jun Lee nabbed his first for the club to prove the difference in a competitive Waikato Division A encounter.

That result set the scene for the Premiership match against a side that had made the bold claim that they wanted the Premiership title, despite only being promoted to the top flight in 2017.

It was a tight match in the initial stages, with the Swifts intent on shoring things up at the back after letting in five at Melville last Saturday. As always, Matamata looked good going forward and they secured a priceless half time lead when speedster, Chris Walker, latched on to a Logan Raynel pass for his fifth goal in three games.

The game was decided in less than 20 minutes after half time. Walker doubled Matamata’s lead, before the visitors struck back following a free kick. Within moments of the visitors’ goal, however, the Swifts had restored their two goal margin thanks to Dayne Willemsen.

Matamata threatened to overrun their opponents and the fourth goal finally came when teenage debutant, Reuben Wiglesworth, smashed the ball home near the end having only been on the field for a couple of minutes.

The win moved Matamata up to third in the Premiership after three rounds.

Photos here.